Friday, February 15, 2013

My first ArcMap Experience & Potential and Pitfalls of GIS

     My first ArcMap experience wasn't pleasant. Unfortunately, I didn't get far into the tutorial (not even to exercise 2) because I kept on getting stuck on what seemed to be the simplest things. Even though my first experience on the tutorial wasn't particularly fantastic, I finished the hands-on tutorial the second time around. The tutorial was outdated but the problems were addressed responsibly, but even then there were a few things on the tutorial that were also problematic. Although it was extremely and step by step, some of the wording could have been clearer on certain points.
     Overall, I enjoyed my recent ArcMap experience. I have always been interested in creating maps and now I know how to do them in a much more professional manner (instead of drawing them myself). I liked how there were ways to actually draw features. This gives me a chance to get creative if I ever want to go to use ArcMap for my own purposes. I also think it is important to be able to import and export actual approved geographical data into the program. I gives an accurate measure and is great for presentations.
     There is a lot of potential for the programmers and mapmakers in the field of GIS because ArcMap, along with several other software and programs, have various features and options that go into developing a digital map. And since there are about as many definitions of GIS as there are people working on computer maps of any kind, this field has the ability to expand on a much wider basis.
     However, a potential pitfall in the field of GIS is that the programs and software used to make such maps can be complicated and too difficult to understand for a person who has no background on any kind of GIS programs relating to it. A simple way of making a program more easy to understand is to make the instructions as visual as possible. The software can come with a video tutorial (similar to Google my-maps) that doesn't skip steps. Easy to use and crystal clear visual instructions will definitely make the programs more hospitable for new users.



No comments:

Post a Comment