Friday, January 11, 2013

Maps I find Interesting (Lab 1)

I particularly like this map because I have a personal memory about the contents in it. It is not a mere storm. It is the radiation from a reactor from Japan. Back on March 11th, 2011 when the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan and devastated the lives of millions of people, it was the first time in a long time that I felt connected to the events that happen around the world. This is beside the fact that I had to do a lot of research about it for the headline of my school newspaper. I have an uncle who still lives in Japan with his wife and kids and the thought that might have lost gone them was frightening. A reactor started leaking radiation and in northern Japan and a cloud of radiation particles traveled through the atmosphere across the Pacific Ocean. On March 17th, 2011 we were told to stay inside because the rain had radiation particles in it. I planned to, but it was the day I was volunteering for the LA marathon (giving people energy boosters and water on the trail). My parents didn't like this so I told them I'd do my best to stay out of the rain. Needless to say I got soaked from head to toe. I wasn't afraid of how angry my parents would be at me. I was a bit more concerned for the potential repercussions of being exposed to radiation for hours on end. Hopefully nothing happens because it's not something I think of daily.
Radiation path from Japan's Nuclear Reactor March 17, 2011.



(Source: http://www.globalresearch.ca/fukushima-a-nuclear-war-without-a-war-the-unspoken-crisis-of-worldwide-nuclear-radiation/28870)

New York City. I know I already live in one of the biggest metropolitan cities in the country but I have always wanted to visit New York City particularly Manhattan. This is because I've always found architecture fascinating and have even considered majoring in it. I particularly like how the city is like a giant maze. The structures are incredible. From the Brooklyn bridge to the Empire state building these offer inspiration.
New York City (Manhattan and Central Park).

(Source: http://www.vidiani.com/?p=4915)

I have wanted to go to Yellowstone National Park since I first found out about it when I was a child. I found that it was an extremely unique place on earth and it is home to the one of the most powerful forces of nature: a super-volcano. Yellowstone National Park is one of the oldest if not the oldest National Park and is home to several land formations. Of course there are mountains and rivers and rare wildlife.  There are also rare land features like hot springs teaming with bacteria. The rarest of the land formations here are geysers like the famous Old Faithful (which can be seen on the picture below). This is all because there is a giant magma chamber underneath gradually releasing pressure which also changes the geologic features above like elevation levels which also changes the shapes of the lakes.
Yellowstone National Park (US).













(Source: http://www.gyflyfishers.com/yellowstone-map)

No comments:

Post a Comment